Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Essence of Critical Thinking As It Applies To My PhD Journey

After reading definitions of critical thinking, I understand it “as the ability and willingness to assess claims critically and to make judgments on the bias of objective and supported reasons”. (1) With a new perspective, I now personally define critical thinking as a consciousness that allows for an open process of thought and verbal or non-verbal communications. There are many components to critical thinking but the short of it is about the ability and willingness to learn and apply the elements of critical thinking to your consciousness. With this in mind, I recognize that critical thinking has been incubating in my subconscious for a long time. I have used critical thinking unknowingly. This has created inconsistencies in my thought process that has yielded some ineffectiveness as I experience media. As I continue on my scholarly path there is a responsibility to embrace, practice, and share critical thinking and all that it encompasses, not only in my present personal and professional endeavors but also in my journey as a media psychologist.

When I played football, I thought I was fast until the track coach put an understanding of technique and focus in my consciousness that could help me run faster. When I thought about running, those techniques would resonate in my thought patterns and I would run faster and more confidently on the football field. The social climate of today requires media psychologist to apply critical thinking consciously in every aspect of research and development in order to be effective. “Critical thinking varies according to the motivation underlying it. When grounded in selfish motives, it is often manifested in the skillful manipulation of ideas in service of ones own, or one’s groups, vested interest.” (2) This is an example of why critical thinking needs to encompass focus and fairness. Critical thinkers have a moral and ethical responsibility to apply critical thinking with integrity. Embracing all of the nuances of critical thinking is a factor in the its positive application. Embracing is the concept of locking critical thinking in my consciousness and maintaining awareness of biases.

Critical thinking has helped me to create a level of confidence, professionally and personally. I knew it existed but until now, I had no understanding of how to validate my critical thinking skills. Communication is important in my life as a filmmaker and as a teacher. The messages that I send and receive through media must be clear. Critical thinking helps to dissipate the clutter that film, television, Internet, websites and other forms of media can create. Bias is all around us and to be a scholar, authenticity and accuracy are part of the foundation. Media is broad and takes broad thought to analyze, create and affect its growth and preservation. Media used properly can promote new opportunities and create awareness to sell products to consumers and to educate, promote advocacy and social studies. I have a great respect for all media as I focus on critical thinking verses reacting emotionally to media and its given biases. Media is a great research tool but bias exist in all media and navigating through the bias is most productive when practicing and applying critical thinking.

It is more then a notion to produce a motion picture of any budget size. Getting it right involves effective communication and that comes from an application of critical thinking. A quest for higher consciousness and awareness is contagious especially when applied to a collaborative process like making films. I now can see how critical thinking encourages and inspires the search for perfection, high levels of creativity and relevance. “Critical thinking is too important, the reforms it makes possible too essential, to leave the concept to helter-skelter intuitive use”. (3) A media psychologist will need to be cautious of intuitive temptations, which can create roadblocks in the pursuit of validating cognitive research. It is important to fortify the application of critical thinking and collaboration as key elements in research and development as a media psychologist. The collaborative aspects of critical thinking will enhance the research experience by creating a myriad of intellectual corridors. These corridors will feed methodology-surrounding research specifically as it applies to media psychology. This shared process will be the basis of my approach to research. Critical thinking empowers the research and the researcher.

I understand critical thinking to dwell in my consciousness and with scholarly application, critical thinking can fertilize new creativity and ideas that will inspire all that I do personally and professionally. Critical thinking is the source in which I will embrace with fortitude, practice with consistency and share through scholarly endeavors and creating and dissecting literary and cinematic narrative. I expect to be more effective adapting critical thinking as the basis of my studies and professional growth.

References:

1) The Dictionary of Psychology, RaymondJ. Corsini, p.237, brunner/Mazel, 1999

2) Paul, Richard.1970-1997: The Critical Thinking Movement, The Critical Thinking Community.org

3) Elder, Linda.2007. Defining Critical Thinking. The Critical Thinking Community.org

No comments:

Post a Comment