Sunday, September 19, 2010

Don’t Earn It, Be It

Santa Barbara was a fitting backdrop for the Fielding University New Student Orientation week. The beautiful view of the ocean and the freshness and crispness of the air signified the beginning of something great. Students milled about excited and nervous about the hugeness of the decision to become a scholar. The brainpower was overflowing at the opening dinner. After listening to the President speak one thing resonated with me, don’t just earn your PhD be a PhD. That was powerful for me. I could see from that moment forward that I would be on a journey that I would never forget.

It was great to finally put names to faces. The application process was pretty scary. Not actually having any physical contact when anyone brought out unnecessary insecurities. I quickly got over that once I met Kim Miller, who was so helpful to me, and other staff that reminded me that I was important and had all of their support. That’s important when we are learning in a non-traditional format.

When I researched Fielding I read the bios of the faculty and was impressed. Meeting them in person and spending time with them was priceless and set the tone for the intensity of this program. They confirmed my decision to become a PhD. Dr. Isbouts and Dr. Ohler were very impressive. I feel like a top athlete with the best coaches in the league. I can’t lose. I hope to do well and apply all that Fielding’s faculty has to offer.

The expectations to do well at Fielding are high and research is the foundation of those expectations. I learned that research is key to being a scholar second only to critical thinking. Critical thinking, research and scholarly writing are core elements to the development of a PhD. The things that I am learning are opening up windows in my brain allowing me to see and breath new thoughts from new points of view. My passion has been ignited by the infusion of new ways to think and learn.

When you have great coaches you have to have great players. My fellow students are my team mates and together we can help each other reach the goal of becoming PhD's with a purpose and passion to teach, create and make change in the social development of all people around the globe. This is fertile ground in developing new ideas, theories, and entrepreneurial opportunities. I look forward to working with all of the students in my class because they all have something special to offer that can help me be the best Media Psychologist I can be. The honeymoon is over and now it’s time for us to get to work at being a PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment